I think we all knew this was coming..
I ❤ Breakfast.
(Photos from Flickr)
Breakfast is by far my favorite meal of the day. Why? I often wonder and decided it’s because Breakfast is:
- Tastes good
- Can be enjoyed while still in my comfy bed 🙂
And these reasons are just the beginning! Breakfast is also very important for our health, so read on to find out why!
Benefits of Breakfast:
Jumpstarts your metabolism: Overnight your body is in fasting mode and your metabolism slows. Make sure to eat within an hour of waking up to keep your metabolism going throughout the day, which helps you burn more calories, even at rest!
Keeps you fuller longer: breakfast helps curb your appetite so that you’re not ravishing by snack or lunch. This in turn prevents overeating at later meals.
Provides overall better nutrition: Eating a balanced breakfast increases the nutritional quality of your day by incorporating a mix of healthy carbohydrates, protein and fat through whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
Helps individuals reach or maintain weight loss goals: Eating breakfast curbs your appetite and helps you burn calories more quickly. Eating breakfast also delays hunger, which reduces the amount of food that you eat later in the day.
Provides fuel and energy: A balanced breakfast nourishes your body with the energy that it needs, which improves your concentration and clarity. Studies have shown that eating breakfast can improve your work performance or grades while skipping breakfast can leave you tired and out of focus.
Now that you’ve learned some benefits and are going to start eating breakfast every day ( 😉 ), let’s talk about delicious options. Some breakfast staples:
- Whole grain bread, bagels, waffles, pancakes, etc.
- Breakfast Bars
- Leftovers – anything is better than nothing!
After choosing the star of your meal, combine ingredients to create a balanced breakfast. Choose whole grains, low-fat/skim dairy products, fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein and healthy fats. Balanced food combos:
- Oatmeal with banana, peanut butter and skim milk
- High fiber cereal with skim milk and fruit
- Egg white omelet or scramble with low-fat cheese, mixed veggies and a slice of whole wheat toast. If you prefer regular eggs thing try one egg white mixed with one regular
- Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup granola or nuts, fresh fruit or pumpkin, & drizzled with honey or agave nectar
- Fruit smoothie made with skim milk, greek yogurt and frozen fruit
- Leftovers! If you’re not a fan of breakfast foods, choose something you’ll enjoy! As long as it’s healthy, anything goes
You may be thinking to yourself “but I don’t have time for breakfast!” My tip? Make time! Breakfast is that important. Wake up 20-30 minutes earlier so that you can get some food in. If you’re running late try some on-the-go options such as fresh fruit, yogurt, or a high fiber breakfast bar.
My breakfast favorites:
Oatmeal with the works
Cereal and fruit
or a slice of grainy bread with PB, Pumpkin Butter & Banana. Yum!
Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day for many reasons. Try making breakfast a part of your everyday routine by setting aside time and picking your favorite foods! Your body will thank you. Have it Your Weigh