The weather in DC is HOT. But that doesn’t mean my morning oats ritual is gone. Lately, instead of eating hot oats, I have them cold!
Overnight oats are exactly what the name says-oats that prepare themselves overnight. Overnight, the oats soak up the liquid, making it dense and delicious, and making my morning a little brighter. The best part? It requires no cooking, just combining the ingredients!
Many bloggers have turned me to this way of prepping oats and I thank you all. It has changed my life. If you try it, it will change yours too. I promise.
To start gather the following ingredients:
- 1/4 cup oats for fiber and to help lower cholesterol
- 1/2 soy or skim milk for protein
- 1 tbsp Chia Seeds for Omega-3’s and to help thicken the oats
- 1/3 of a banana for potassium and flavor
- 1 tbsp flax for extra fiber and nutrients (optional)
- Sprinkle of raisins for some sweetness
- Dash of pumpkin pie spice & Cinnamon for natural flavor
To make the oats, combine all ingredients into a bowl (or favorite jar).
Overnight the oats and chia seeds soak up the milk for the morning!
I top mine with a sprinkle of granola/cereal and teaspoon of peanut butter
Deelicious! If you don’t have Chia Seeds, you’ll need to vary the recipe to get that extra creaminess. Simply reduce your milk to 1/4 cup and add 1/4 cup plain, fat-free yogurt. Problem solved!
The great part about overnight oats is that you can make them however you choose! I sometimes like to add frozen berries, coconut, or flax seeds to spice it up. Add a variety of your favorite fruits, nuts and seeds for a personalized breakfast and a great start to your day. Have it Your Weigh.