Spring is “here” but I am cold! Not to fret though, it only leaves more time to eat my Fall and Winter favorites. One of my favorite warm breakfasts is Oatmeal. You might think “boring!”, but hopefully I will change your mind. Oatmeal, like other grains, is a good staple because there are many ways to change it up and make it interesting. You can add so many different mix-ins you’ll never get bored! Once you find your favorite though, you will most likely crave it on the daily, which is what has happened here.
Adding bananas to the cooking process allows them to release their natural sugar, making the oatmeal deliciously sweet in a natural way. No processed products or strange ingredients needed! Just make sure that your banana is slightly browned for best taste.
- Add 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 sliced banana and 1 cup of skim or soy milk to bowl of choice
- Microwave for 3 minutes, checking to make sure that your oatmeal doesn’t overflow!
- Once done, give it a good stir. Add in a sprinkling of raisins, 1 tbsp of chia or flax seeds, 1 tsp of cinnamon and a dallop of peanut butter.
- Stir it all up and eat! I know you’ll be dying to take your first bite but make sure it’s cooled first.
- Shredded coconut
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped nuts
- Dried cranberries
- Flax, chia or hemp seeds
- Almond or cashew butter
- Pumpkin or apple butter
- Spices such as nutmeg, cloves, etc.