I usually try to plan out and shop for dinner recipes, but some days are a “what’s in the fridge?” type of day.
This meal was a perfect example of that. Use what’s on hand and get creative! We had leftover Jalapeno Chicken Sausage from this delicious meal, brown rice, black beans and fresh spinach. Easy, simple to make, healthy and tasty! Win win all around.
Jalapeno Chicken Sausage and Brown Rice Plate
Time: 20 minutes
3 links chicken sausage (I used Jalapeno but any flavor will do!)
2 cups brown rice, dry (I used TJ’s microwaveable brown rice)
1 bag fresh spinach
1 can black beans
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Cook brown rice according to package directions. For the TJ’s steam in bag it was 2 minutes in the microwave. Allow more time for brown rice made on stove top.
2. Heat chicken sausage in microwave or on stove top for 2-3 minutes
3. Grease cooking pan with cooking spray or olive oil. Add bag of fresh spinach to pan and cook until wilted
4. Drain black beans. Add to cooking pan until heated.
5. In large bowl add brown rice, chopped chicken sausage, spinach and black beans. Add salt and pepper to taste and combine ingredients. Serve by candlelight!
Chicken sausage is a great option to spice up any meal, while being a healthier option than regular sausage. I recommend it in rice dishes, stir fries, in salads, soups and more. Try different flavors to see which you like best. Enjoy!