Did You Know??
1. Chocolate and sweets cravings can be caused by not getting in enough protein. Make sure you are eating adequate protein each day to reduce cravings.
2. Cravings for sweets can also be because you aren’t getting enough carbohydrates. Make sure you are eating carbohydrates at each meal and snack. Carbs include your starches (bread, rice, pasta, granola bars, cereal, etc.), dairy and fruit.
3. Iron absorption is improved when paired with Vitamin C. This is important for anyone with anemia or iron deficiency. Pair Iron and Vitamin c each time you eat or take a supplement.
4. Skipping meals will not help you lose weight. Neither will cutting out carbohydrates, going on a juice cleanse or restricting calories. These “tricks” all lead to a slower metabolism and hunger/overeating!
5. The best source of Vitamin D is the sun.
6. Going gluten free is only beneficial for those with Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance. There is no research showing that it has any other health benefits.
7. Popcorn is considered a whole grain.
8. The recommended intake for coffee is 200mg per day, which is equivalent to about 1 small/tall size.
9. The more muscle you have the more calories you burn, even while you are sleeping! Strength train at least 1-2x per week to increase muscle mass.
10. There are only two ways to increase your metabolism: eating frequently throughout the day and strength training. Eat within 1 hour of waking up to get your metabolism going.
11. One pound is equal to 3500 calories. To lose a pound a week you will need to subtract 500 calories from each day. If you don’t need to lose a pound a week then please don’t do this. 😉
12. Supplements should never replace food. Nutrients and protein are much better absorbed with actual food so try to get a variety. If you are on the run or are not getting in adequate nutrition you may need protein shakes or a multivitamin.
13. Sugar is good for you! Just kidding. Just wanted to make sure you were paying attention.
14. Sugar is ok in moderation
15. One serving of alcohol (around 100-120 calories) = 5 oz wine, 1 light beer or 1.5 oz of liquor
16. Fireball has 11g of sugar per 1 oz!
17. Eating past 8pm won’t make you fat. This is a myth. It is calories in, calories out for the entire day regardless of what time you eat. Eating late a night can cause intestinal discomfort or heartburn though, so be mindful of that.
18. Carbohydrates don’t make you fat. Overeating and under exercising do.
19. Fat doesn’t make you fat. Healthy fats are actually very good for you. Fats are calorie dense though so make sure to eat them in moderation.
20. Diet pills are a marketing gimmick. If you want to lose weight eat right and exercise.
21. Not getting enough sleep can affect your hunger and fullness hormones. This may lead to feelings of hunger even when you have had enough to eat. Make sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep per night.